The National End-of-Life Doula Alliance (NEDA) is a non-profit membership organization that welcomes and supports all end-of-life doulas, trainers, and interested parties, regardless of background or level of experience.
For many years NEDA has helped to set standards and articulate the scope of practice for end of life doulas. The organization has always been very careful about the language of certification, certificates, credentials, and using the correct language to describe the benefits of membership. So it’s a big deal when they offer a new micro-credential.
This week NEDA announced a new credential for professionals: the After-Death Care Educator Proficiency Badge.
About the ADC Educator Proficiency Badge (NEDA Website)
After-death care educators come from all walks of life and have varying interests and skills. This field is very new. NEDA has created an ADC Educator Scope of Practice, Code of Ethics, and Core Competencies to help guide end-of-life doulas, after-death care educators, and families alike.
A proficiency badge from NEDA signifies that these Core Competencies have been met. Families can know that a practitioner who has earned a NEDA ADC Educator Proficiency Badge has met certain standards. And after-death care educators who have a proficiency badge can themselves know that their knowledge compares to others working in the field.
NEDA recommends that you choose your educational program carefully to ensure that the curriculum covers all that is needed to pass the exam and obtain a NEDA ADC Educator Proficiency Badge. Also know that obtaining a proficiency badge is voluntary; many doulas and educators who have been working in their communities for a while may feel that they do not need this extra “stamp of approval” and that’s okay. There is no overseeing legal entity that regulates this profession. A proficiency badge is but one step that some will choose to take.
Earn Your Proficiency Badge Now!
NEDA members (doula, doula trainer, or doula/trainer combo) have the opportunity to demonstrate what they know. By earning a micro-credential, you’ll rest assured that your understanding of doula work is comparable to other doulas’ knowledge bases. Similarly, healthcare organizations and families will know when you display the NEDA ADC Educator badge that you’ve achieved a high standard of professionalism. Here how to earn your proficiency badge:
- To take the assessment, you must first become a NEDA member (doula, doula trainer, or doula/trainer combo) or already be a member (doula, doula trainer, or doula/trainer combo) in good standing.
- If you are becoming a member now, please wait 72 hours for your membership application to be processed by our membership service to be sure your email address is on file.
- Read the FAQs and micro-credentialing information below, and go here to see what standards will be covered.
- When you’re ready, click on the Take the NEDA ADC Educator Assessment button below.
- Be sure to use the same e-mail address that you used when you joined NEDA when registering in the ClassMarker assessment site.
- You’ll be asked to pay $115 for the exam by using PayPal or a credit card. One (1) full scholarship will be provided each month for the After-Death Care Educator Assessment. Please click here for the details and application.
- Once you pay, you’re ready to test! The exam is timed. You’ll have 90 minutes to complete it. You may save it and return to taking the test at your convenience as many times as you wish. You are allowed three chances to take the exam before paying for it again. Your answers will be graded in real time so you will know the correct answer to each question before moving on. It’s not just a test, it’s a learning experience!
- Once you have passed an assessment with a score of 85% or above, you’ll receive an email with the proficiency badge .jpeg for use on all your promotional materials, including your website, business card, brochures, and more. You’ll also receive the satisfaction of accomplishment, and the support of NEDA in this important work. If you have chosen to be listed on the website directory, we will also add “NEDA Proficient” to your listing.